New Voices Screenplay Competition
The New Voices short screenplay competition offers an exciting FREE opportunity for emerging screenwriters to have their short film produced featuring actors in training between the ages of 17- 19 from PQA Studios, London.
PQA Studios are thrilled to present the launch of ‘New Voices’, a brand new short screenplay competition for screenwriters. If you have a story you’ve always wanted to tell this is a perfect opportunity to get that story produced into a short film. We are open to all submissions from both established and emerging writers, and the guidelines are all listed below.
We are committed to promoting talented emerging writers and recently premiered the 4 winning radio plays from our ‘From Page to Podcast’ competition on Spotify, iTunes and Apple Music. Find out more here.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for short screenplays that are approximately 5 minutes in length that have a minimum of 5 central characters. The characters must have a playing age of between 16 and 24 years old. The screenplay must be set in one location and can be any genre of your choosing.
What is the prize?
After all submissions have been adjudicated by our panel of judges, there will be a shortlist from which 5 screenplays will be selected to be produced by the team at PQA Studios, London in association with PQATV. These will then be shot in Spring 2020 and once completed will be entered into short film festivals worldwide before being released online.
Who can enter?
Anyone aged 16 or over from anywhere in the world. All we ask is that the screenplay is written in English. Entrants must also not be any person directly connected to the competition. The deadline is 4pm on December 18th 2019, and its FREE to enter.
How do I enter?
Entries should be sent via email to email@example.com
What supporting materials do you require?
We require the screenplay to be submitted as a PDF and industry standard screenplay format. The supporting materials should contain the following, Logline, Character breakdowns and Synopsis (no longer than 200 words)
Rules / Terms and Conditions
1. Entry is open only to anyone who is over the age of 16 as of 1st December 2019.
2. Professional and previously published writers are eligible to enter, but this is not a requirement of entry.
3. Entrants must not be directly connected to the competition in any way. Proof of age, identity and eligibility may be requested.
4. Entrants should write a short screenplay of approximately 5 minutes in length based in one location.
5. Entrants should write a screenplay for characters of the playing age 16-24.
6. All genres will be considered.
7. Multiple authorship screenplays are acceptable.
8. Scripts should be submitted as a PDF and formatted to industry standard at size 12 Courier.
9. Entries should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. The entrants warrant, by submitting screenplays, that the screenplay:
a) is the original work of the entrants,
b) is not an adaptation of an earlier work (for example a novel),
c) will not have been professionally optioned, sold or produced in any other form or medium to any other person or company, and d) will not have been entered for any other competition before 18th December 2019. A breach of these warranties will result in disqualification from the competition.
11. The winning screenplay writers will be deemed to have entered into an undertaking not to accept offers for their entries from other broadcasters or publishers before 18th December 2019.
12. Writer(s) grant PQA the right to use their name(s) and the submitted screenplay’s title in all forms of publicity and communication.
13. All scripts submitted must be approximately 5 minutes in length – this usually equates to roughly one page per minute of film so a maximum of 7 pages.
14. The play should have a minimum of 5 characters (with the opportunity of further supporting characters who don’t have more than a few lines each).
15. Your script should be accompanied by a logline, character breakdowns and a short synopsis which outlines the complete story of the film. The synopsis must be no more than 200 words.
16. All rights will be returned to the author post publication.
17. The personal data you provide will only be used by PQA for administering this competition. No personal data will be shared with third parties without your permission first. However shortlisted entrants’ names with their country or region of residence will be published online and shared with the PQA channels online. All personal data will be kept secure and deleted once the competition has ended and the prize fulfilled unless you have selected to be contacted in future.
18. All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party. PQA accepts no liability if entrants ignore these rules.
19. Entries must not contain defamatory, obscene or any other unsuitable material, such as that which may cause offence to a wide audience of all ages. Content should not contain excessive swearing or obscene language.